Belonging to the generation of artists who experienced and made the twentieth-century renaissance in the visual arts, Victor Pasmore was a painter, collager, printmaker and teacher. He was born in Chelsham, Surrey in 1908, and later married the artist Wendy Pasmore. For a decade from 1927 he worked in local government at County Hall, London, until, with the help of Sir Kenneth Clark he was able to cease being a Sunday painter and begin to paint full time.
In 1938 he helped form the Euston Road School with William Coldstream and Claude Rogers. He had attended Central School of Arts and Crafts part-time and had begun showing with London Artists’ Association where his first solo show was held in 1933. Pasmore taught in Camberwell School of Art 1943-9 and at Central School of Art and Design 1949 – 53.
From 1948 his work shifted from the atmospheric, representational Euston Road style to abstraction, the course he thereafter pursued. In the period 1951-63 he began to work on relief constructions, became the director of painting at the University of Newcastle and director of urban design at Peterlee New Town 1954-77.
In 1966 the artist made Malta his principle home and his work took on an unexpected fullness of invention, colour and form embodying ideas and references to the visible world. His international reputation grew with a retrospective exhibition at the Tate Gallery and touring 1965. In 1980 he had a one-man British Council travelling show and another exhibition at the Tate. In 1981 he was made a Companion of Honour and was elected RA in 1984.